HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL PARTNERS DEPARTMENT
|Bedrijf||European Investment Bank|
|Werklocatie||LU - Luxembourg|
|Aantal uren per week||40 uur|
|Carriereniveau||Leidinggevend, Senior management|
The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its EIB Global Directorate (GLO), International Partners Department (GLO/IP), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a Head of International Partners Department * - This is a full-time position at grade 8/9.
*internal benchmark: Department Head
The successful candidate will be offered a definitive duration contract (CDD) of 5 years which may be renewed or converted in accordance with applicable policies and rules.
Applicants will receive initial feedback in September. Please note that the campaign will follow tight timeline.
EIB Global focusses on non-EU operations in support of the SDGs and the joint global objectives of the European Union and it global partners in 120 countries around the world, functioning as a dedicated branch within the European Investment Bank – an integral EU body, established 1958 in the treaty of Rome. The EIB Global Directorate consists of
- two regional transactional departments, one being IP, which is responsible for all public and financial sector operations (including microfinance) in sub-Saharan Africa Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific,
- one globally active transactional department responsible for direct corporate and project finance, as well as for equity, funds, advisory and implementation and
- one non-transactional department, responsible for strategy, business planning, mandate management, fund-raising, and developing GLO’s enhanced local presence.
You will be fostering effective partnerships with all relevant stakeholders of EIB Global, in particular with the important regional counterpart DG INTPA (International Partnerships) in the European Commission. You will be responsible for developing and implementing EIB Global’s impact-driven public and financial sector operations in the INTPA region. You will also manage key relationships for all the EIB Global activities in this region.
As part of EIB Global’s senior management team, you will also contribute to further developing the overall vision and values for EIB Global as a key member of Team Europe and the EIB Group. You will further the evolution of EIB Global and its activities as well as promote EIB Global’s value proposition and the develop its partnerships, working both internally and in the relationship with other EIB directorates as well as externally, in particular with the European Commission and relevant parts of Member State governments and other Team Europe Players.
You will be reporting to the Deputy Managing Director and will be managing approximately 80 direct and indirect reports.
- Lead, develop and implement a convincing and impactful operational strategy for turning EIB Global capital and donor resources into high impact in support of EU objectives in sub-Saharan Africa Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific.
- Establish and manage the resources and means necessary to implement the formulated strategy/policies relevant for the Department. Lead the department to ensure its effective functioning with a view to facilitate pro-actively the achievement of EIB Global objectives.
- Foster and ensure a fruitful relationship with the European Commission– in particular with DG INTPA – and EU Delegations in the INTPA region, as well as relevant parts of EU Member States Governments in support of making best use of the capabilities of EIB Global in support of EU policy.
- Foster and ensure fruitful partnerships with EIB Global’s peers, in particular other members of “Team Europe” as well as other MDBs to strengthen the overall impact of the EU’s development cooperation.
- Lead EIB Global’s contribution to and the implementation of the group operational plan with regards to the aforementioned regions in close coordination with the transversal teams of EIB Global as well as all relevant directorates of the EIB.
- Contribute to the definition, development and consolidation of an operationally and politically successful, financially sustainable operational overall strategy of EIB Global.
- Represent the Bank externally and maintain and develop relationships as appropriate with external partners in order to foster activities in the aforementioned regions as well as to further general cooperation and promote EIB Global's image.
- Represent own Department within the Directorate and in the whole EIB organisation, in order to create and enhance co-operation within the Bank.
- Build and foster good cooperation within EIB Global, with other EIB directorates as well as with external counterparts
- Supervise and ensure that key area processes are executed in conformity with the EIB policies and regulations
- Ensure that staff within the department, have the right competencies, objectives and motivation and support the continuous learning and development of staff. Build a development culture in which staff is developed for the current and future roles.
- University degree, preferably in economics, business, finance, law, political science or related field
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in government, NGOs, EU institutions, International Financial Institutions or similar organisations. Experience in several of these would be considered an advantage
- Ideally 5 years in a leadership or managerial role demonstrated not only in the operational field but also in terms of motivating large teams and complex projects. Experience of managing a team spread over several locations would be an advantage
- Solid experience in development finance and operational strategy formulation and implementation. Operational experience in developing countries / outside of the EU would be a distinct advantage
- Experience in multi-party institutional negotiations and proven ability to form partnerships in difficult environments with stakeholders whose objectives are not always fully aligned
- Critical thinking and clarity of vision, sensitivity to business and political issues, analytical skills and sound judgement
- Deep understanding and extensive knowledge of European Union and its policies as well as of EIB objectives, strategies, policies and processes
- Excellent knowledge of English and at least a very good command of French. Knowledge of additional languages that are important for development banking in sub-Saharan Africa Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific would be an asset.
Find out more about EIB core and managerial competencies here
“We are an equal opportunities employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. We encourage all suitably qualified and eligible candidates to apply regardless of their gender identity/expression, age, racial, ethnic and cultural background, religion and beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, disability or neurodiversity.
Applicants with specific needs are encouraged to request reasonable accommodations at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact the EIB Recruitment team Jobs@eib.org who will ensure that your request is handled.”
By applying for this position, you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorised disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 7th September 2023