FREIGHT MOVEMENT SPECIALIST
|Bedrijf||Ministerie van Defensie|
|Aantal uren per week||40 uur|
The Dutch Ministry of Defence protects all that we cherish as a nation. We work towards a world of freedom and security, because we believe that everyone has the right to live in such a world. This is the mission you contribute to as a freight movement specialist in Rotterdam, with a wide and varied range of highly responsible tasks.
You receive, manage, verify and execute transport requests and you are responsible for the coordination of incoming and outgoing transports from various US units within the Area of Responsibility (AOR) and beyond if required. Also, you provide guidance to personnel working at BMCTs in Schinnen, Chièvres and Bremerhaven. And you are responsible for obtaining transportation funds in order to execute transport.
As a freight movement specialist you determine the mode of transport for US forces cargo that arrives at Northern European ports and originates from within the AOR and order the required transportation assets for transportation requests. And, if required, you provide extra accessorial services (cranes, railheads etc.) in order to load and/or offload materials, thereby taking into consideration costs, importance of delivery and possibilities for loading/offloading.
You also advise and inform regarding possibilities for US forces cargo within the AOR and Northern European ports, you provide technical advice and assist personnel, customers, transporters and other military organizations with reference to transporting US military material to destinations. Plus, you make sure safety regulations are obeyed and you prepare the necessary transportation documentation for US cargo and/or personnel such as border crossing documents, freight warrants, AA&E and Transportation Movement Requests.
The monitoring, arranging and coordinating of the transport of sensitive goods (ammunition, outsized material) is also part of your job, as is ensuring their smooth operation. You make sure that the goods are reported in a timely manner to the host nation authorities and check their permits. You also screen Transportation Control Movement Documents for accuracy and you are responsible for US DOD containers that arrive at Northern European Ports with destinations throughout Europe. Additionally, you act as accounting officer for all the financial payments between the US Army and commercial entities.
You maintain contact with the host nation and commercial companies within and outside the AOR regarding the transportation of US cargo and personnel. You also perform the duties of a Customs Clearance Officer and a transportation agent for the US Army. Finally, you remain knowledgeable of transportation matters relating to inland, foreign and US regulations and attend classes whenever necessary and required. This job requires regular visits to US Army depots in Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- You have HAVO or HBO level (preferably in logistics/transport).
- You have comprehensive knowledge of a wide range of traffic management policies, principles and practices concerned with movement of cargo and personnel in order to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems.
- You have Knowledge of agency policy statements and program directives, government transportation regulations and general administrative instructions. Furthermore you have knowledge of US Army and DOD regulations, laws, US government contracting guidance, foreign government regulations and laws and status of forces agreements.
- You have sufficient knowledge and skills to direct and manage programs to obtain the economical and efficient transportation of freight, soldiers and equipment.
- You have sufficient knowledge and skills for special handling or movement requirements associated with freight, passengers or other transportation operations.
- You are able to lead soldiers and civilian personnel and make quick decisions when required.
- Preferably, you are experienced in transport/logistics (military and/or commercial).
- You have perfect knowledge of the English language, both verbal and written. Knowledge of German and French is considered a plus.
- You have a driver’s licence and a privately owned vehicle for business trips if required.
- You can provide us with a Good Conduct certificate or Security Clearance (NATO).
- You have good communication skills and problem solving abilities.
- You have advanced knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- You can easily adapt to a multicultural work environment.
- You are flexible and able to work well under pressure.
Salarisniveau schaal 8
Salarisomschrijving Het salaris is gebaseerd op een 38-urige werkweek.
Maandsalaris Min €2.553 – Max. €3.428 (bruto)
Dienstverband Vaste aanstelling
Minimaal aantal uren per week 38
Maximaal aantal uren per week 38
In addition to the salary, you receive a year-end bonus of 8,33%. The Dutch Ministry of Defence is committed to personal growth and career development and offers numerous opportunities to achieve this. Among other things, the fringe benefits include various study facilities, company fitness training, full reimbursement of your costs of commuting by public transport, and partially paid parental leave.
- You work under the general supervision of the traffic and operations manager, who establishes the overall objectives and the levels of resources available for the work.
- You assist subordinate offices under the MCT-Rotterdam umbrella with transportation matters or issues.
- You perform duties outside the AOR if assigned and required and you assume responsibility during the absence of the traffic manager and operations manager.
- Work is performed in an office or similar setting although some physical effort may be required while on business trips.
- You are subject to working long and irregular hours during missions.
- Send your motivational letter and CV (both in English) stating the vacancy number via the 'Apply' button. If you do not follow this step in the procedure, your application will not be processed.